Taytay Tiangge: The Thrifty’s Shopping Paradise
Taytay, Rizal, the “Garments Capital of the Philippines” is home to a popular Taytay Tiangge — where a Pinoy fashionista can have a shopping spree at an affordable cost. It is a local initiative of Taytay government back in 2014 where Taytay-based dressmakers who used to rent a space in Baclaran, Divisoria, and Greenhills to sell their goods can now conduct their business close to their homes. From then on, Taytay Tiangge became a shopping paradise especially to those people who are constantly on the lookout for affordable yet good quality fashion items.
As a budget shopper and a person who lives within Rizal, I feel lucky that I am located a few kilometers away from Taytay tiangge. I consider it as one of the perfect budget shopping destinations as there are a lot of items to choose from — shirts, dresses, blouses, shorts, skirts, pants, and more — and all of these can be bought at an affordable cost. With that in mind, I have made a trip to Taytay recently with only Php 1,000.00 pesos budget in hand and made a challenge to myself — how many items can I buy with only Php 1,000.00 in hand?
One Saturday morning, I went to Taytay with my friend to shop for clothes to update our wardrobe. We arrived at Taytay Tiangge at 8:30 AM and we immediately started our thrifty shopping spree. We went in from stall to stall while on the lookout for affordable yet trendy items until we finished at around 11 AM. Overall, my friend’s total spending was Php 1,020 while my spending only costs me Php 995.00. Here are the items that I bought plus the breakdown of costs:
|Polka dotted t-shirt
|White shirt with a blue tropical print
|Brown pencil skirt
|Plain black v-neck shirt
|Plain gray v-neck shirt
|Black shorts with ribbon
|Blue shorts with ribbon
|Dark gray leggings
|Black leggings with blue print details
|Dark gray leggings with orange print details
|Blue long sleeves shirt with print
|Pink dress with ruffled sleeves
Taytay Tiangge Schedule:
You can pay a visit at Taytay Tiangge on its normal business hours (6 AM – 5 PM daily) but the best days to visit are Mondays and Thursdays as it is open at night — from 6 PM to 10 AM the following day — and these are the days when new stocks arrive. If you prefer to do your shopping in the early morning, the best days to go are Tuesdays and Fridays because stalls are open.
Here are some tips to consider before you go to Taytay Tiangge:
- Wear cool and comfortable clothes, bring with you a fan, something to wipe your sweat and a bottle of water as the place tends to be hot and crowded especially if you go there in the afternoon.
- Bring an eco-bag to hold all the items you bought.
- Dress simply and avoid wearing expensive jewelry while shopping.
- Bring loose change and small bills when buying items. It would be hard to buy a Php 50.00 clothes when your money is Php 1,000.00.
- Always check for the quality of stitches, unfinished hems, stains, damages, missing buttons, etc. when buying clothes.
- Bring a friend who has a similar taste and style with you. You can get wholesale prices for at least 3 items so if you and your friend have a same style, it will both help you save money.
How to get there:
From Cubao/EDSA Shaw:
- Take a jeep or UV Express to Taytay/Angono/Binangonan and alight at Club Manila East Taytay.
From Quiapo/Sta. Mesa/Ortigas:
- Ride a G-Liner/RRCG/Green Star bus bound to Taytay and alight at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
- Ride a UV Express bound to Taytay and alight at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
- Take a train from any station and alight at Santolan station. Ride a jeep to Taytay or Angono and get off at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
From Sta. Lucia East Cainta:
- Ride a jeepney bound to Taytay or Angono and get off at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
From Quezon City:
- Take the MRT and get off at Araneta Center Cubao station. Walk towards LRT-2 Cubao station and alight at Santolan station. Ride a jeep to Taytay or Angono and get off at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
- From Commonwealth Ave./Fairview, take a jeep or UV Express to Sta. Lucia Cainta. From Sta. Lucia, ride a jeepney bound to Taytay or Angono and get off at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.
- Take the MRT and get off at Ortigas station. Walk towards Robinson’s Galleria and take G-Liner/RRCG/Green Star bus bound to Taytay and alight at Taytay Bagong Palengke or Club Manila East Taytay.